Can you be suspended without pay with nothing documented?

I was suspended without pay for

Asked on June 5, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Louisiana


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

The fact is that unless you have an employment contract or union agreement, you are an "at will" employee. This means that you could have been fired for any reason or no reason at all. That is absent some form of legally actionable discrimination playing a factor in your treatment. If you think that you were mistreated due to your age, then you would have a claim. However, just becasue your former employer provided no documentation or other proof of misconduct doesn't mean that they don't have any. If they do, that would most probably negate any age discrimination claim. That having been said, if there is no such proof of the conduct that they claimed, then you may prevail legally. At this point, you may want to consult directly with a local employment law attorney. They can best advise you further after hearing all of the details of your situation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.