Can you be sued by a corporation who’s status is supsended by the state?

Can you be sued by a coporation who’s corporate status is “suspended” by the state and was “suspended” at the time of any dealings with the company? I am being sued by a corporation who has not had legal corporate status for over 4 years.

Asked on June 13, 2009 under Business Law, California


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

It's entirely possible that you can take advantage of this;  just how much good it will do, I can't be sure.  You should have an attorney defending you in this lawsuit in any event, and he or she can use this if it makes sense.  One place to find a lawyer is our website,

In many states, failure to keep up a corporation's right to do business in the state will prevent it from filing suit, although they may be able to get past that simply by paying the back years' fees and whatever late charges are assessed.  But it's certainly worth looking into, at this point.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.