Can you be fired for not having a phone?

It’s not written on any contract I signed and I can’t afford one but I’m being told that not having a phone is against policy and grounds for termination. This employer doesn’t reimburse for any of it’s policy requirements and I can’t afford a phone. Is it legal to get fired for this?

Asked on July 21, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I presume your question pertains to a cellular phone. If your presumed employee employer handbook does set forth the requirement for a cell phone and neither does the written terms of your employment, then your employer cannot require you to have such a device.

If your employer requires you to have one, then it should pay for it. From what you have written, it is possible that you could be terminated for not having a cellular phone if your job requires it. However, if your job requires one, then your employer should pay for it.

Perhaps you can get in some family plan with some friend who has a cellular phone where you get a free phone and have an agreement that you will not use it much and solely for work where you pay $20.00 per month on the bill as a solution to your situation?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.