Can you be evicted without written notice?

Our landlord passed away and now here niece is taking over her estate. On the last day of last month they verbally asked my fiance and I to move out by the beginning of this month; we continued to tell them that would not be possible being as we only have 1 income, our own bills other than rent to pay and that it would take us at least 60 days to have enough money to move. We then asked for a written eviction notice so I could ask for help from an agency which they then refused. On last week they showed up and kind of bullied us into signing a paper that we would leave in 2 days.

Asked on November 28, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Under the statutes of each state in this country, a landlord is required to give his or her tenant written notice of an eviction of a rental. Typical notice is at least thirty (30) days from the notice is actually delivered to the tenant.

In your situation, the written document that you signed after being "bullied" into signing it giving two (2) days to vacate the premises in my opinion does no meet current law and the requirements for adequate notice to move out. I would contact the niece handling the estate where the rental is an asset of it and advise her of your need to have a required eviction notice served upon you per your state's laws.

If the niece becomes somewhat difficult, I suggest that you consult with a landlord tenant attorney about the situation you are in.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.