Can you be charged rearage if you are incarcerated?

Asked on January 15, 2013 under Family Law, Indiana


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Your child support obligation continues while you are incarcerated.  Considering that you are incarcerated, not much more can be done to you while you are not paying.  However, once you are released, you will need to make arrangements to catch-up on back child support obligations.  If an enforcement action is filed, then most judges will simply add an extra $10-100 per month payment in addition to your regular payment until the arrearages are paid off.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.