Can wife claim on Joint property belonging to Husband and his father

I am filing for divorce against my wife 4 years marriage and wanted to know that I have a property which will be ready for possession in another 1-2 months. This property has me 1st applicant and my father 2nd applicant. We have purchased this property before my marriage 7 years ago. So, can my wife claim on this property and, if yes, what amount will go to her?Also, please suggest the best suitable option under this scenario, shall I keep this property and get my name removed or sell it ?

Asked on June 12, 2017 under Family Law, Alaska


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Property owned before marriage remains the seperate property of the owner spouse. That is so long as it remained solely in their name and no marital funds were used for repair and maintenance of the property.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If the property was purchased pre-marriage and your wife is not on the title, as you indicate, she would have no right to this in a divorce; she only has rights to property acquired during marriage and/or acquired using assets (e.g. money) acquired during marriage, or any property which you did title in her name for one reason or another. You should not have to do anything special in regards to the property.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.