Can we walk away from a paid-in-full trailer that belonged to my husbands deceased mom?

The trailer is in a trailer community that we pay monthly for
use of the land the trailer sits on. The trailer is in almost
unlivable condition, and we dont want to pay for surely
expensive repairs. We dont believe we would get nearly
enough to cover repairs if we put it in our name and sell it.
The trailer is still in her name. Are there any legal
ramifications if we simply walk away from it?

Asked on January 19, 2018 under Estate Planning, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

If the trailer is in your mother-in-law's name, you have no responsibility for the trailer itself: you are not the owners.
If the lease for the space, etc. in the community is in your mother-in-law's name, you are not responsible for it, either: you do not inherit another person's leases, contracts, debts, or obligations.
If you have a written lease in your name(s), you are responsible under the terms of the lease and would owe the rent, etc. for the full remaining written duration of the lease.
If there is no written lease for the community, just an oral agreement or understanding under which you have been paying, you are month-to-month tenants of the community, which means you just owe one month's notice: for example, in this case, if you gave notice today, you'd still owe for February rent, but not after that.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.