Can we quitclaim a portion of a house to avoid iability in a foreclosure?

My husband, his brother and sister inherited a house the had a revese mortgage on it and is is now upside down on what is owed on it. His father is the one that signed for the reverse mortgage. The house is now in foreclosure. My husband wants to get out from this problem by selling his portion of the house for $1 to his brother or sister in a quitclaim. Is it possible to do this and not have any problems or pay anything out on the house?

Asked on June 6, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Florida


Mitchell Goldman / Law Offices of Cantwell and Goldman, P.A.

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Unless your husband signed the note, or otherwise guaranteed the note, he is not personally responsible for his father's debt. If your husband deeds the property to a third party, he should not be a defendant in the foreclosure litigation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.