Can we petition a traffic/parking citation that was improperly cited a couple of years after we paid for it?

My dad received a parking citation for parking his company truck outside our home overnight on a residential street but I recently found out from neighbors who received traffic citations in front of our house for illegal maneuvers not allowed on business streets. So our street is actually a business street and not a residential like I always thought, and we shouldn’t have had been cited and have had to pay over a hundred dollars. But most importantly and why we want to petition and have it removed from his record, is that he can get fired from his work for acquiring too many citations.

Asked on July 23, 2012 under General Practice, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

It is possible for your father to petition a previously paid traffic/parking citation from several years ago. The problem is that for all intents and purpooses the payment is deemed an admission that the citation was proper and the time to appeal such very well is long passed.

I suggest that your father may want to consult with an attorney that practices in the area of traffic law if there are further questions concerning this matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.