Can we get out of a new lease due to the landlord’s mental instability, harassment and vandalization of our property?

My landlord is mentally unstable, something we where not aware of when we signed our 2 year lease. He has vandalized our property as well as breaking his own property in our yard. He tried to enter our home with out knocking/announcing himself which almost got him shot because we did not know who was trying to open the door, had it not been locked I don’t know what the outcome would have been. We had to call the cops on him for vandalizing our car, the next day he was seen with a knife outside the property, the cops where called and no one has seen him sence. I was told by a retired cop he is most likely in a mental hospital. I have proof of the harassment and craziness we have had to deal with including pictures of damage, pictures of trash and objects left at our door and in our mailbox and actual notes he left calling us names, saying f*** you, and saying things that make no sence at all. Even if he gets help I don’t know how we can ever feel safe here again.

Asked on July 10, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Oklahoma


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If the landlord for the unit that you are renting is not in your opinion mentally competent to have entered into the contract that you entered into for your rental and is harassing you to the point that your "quiet enjoyment" of the rental is being infringed upon, it seems that you would have a legal and factual basis to terminate your lease without further recourse with the landlord.

Before you do so, I would consult with a landlord tenant attorney about your situation and have him or her counsel you on how to terminate the lease, move out and move forward with your life at another location.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.