policy?Can we contest a non-relative as the beneficiary of my grandfather’ life insurance

My grandfather died before changing the beneficiary of one of his policies; she was an ex-girlfriend. They broke up awhile ago and she is even in a new relationship. He told several people that he intended to change it but he got sick before he could.

Asked on June 8, 2012 under Insurance Law, Illinois


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  Generally speaking, you can try and set aside a beneficairy designation when there appears to have been some thing fishy like undue influence, etc., involved.  You would contest the pay out in writing and ask the insurance company to "interplead" the funds in to court so that a determination could be made.  But I do not really think that you have grounds here to make such a request and I would seek legal help as soon as you can.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.