Can we bring a case against our landlord concerning an air conditioning issue?

My wife and I have been trying to get our property manager to fix our ac for many weeks now. Recently she told us that the temperature coming out of the vents was 65 degrees, it is not and the temperature in our unit never gets below 80 degrees during the early afternoon until late evening. This has been on ongoing issue with many other tenants as well.

Asked on July 24, 2012 under Real Estate Law, North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor


The best way for you and the other tenants to get the faulty air conditioning system with your rentals fixed by your landlord is for all tenants to write the property manager a letter (dated and signed by all) demanding that the unit be repaired by a certain date and if not, you will call a repair person to do so and have the landlord charged for the repairs.

Keep a copy of the letter for future use and need.

In the alternative, the tenants have the right to bring a legal action against the property manager and landlord for reduced rent due to the faulty air conditioning system that no one in charge of the complex is taking the laboring oar to get repaired.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.