Can we be sued past insurance?

My son was in a accident when he was 16yrs, and now the guy is suing the insurance company. My son was fully insred at the time. Can we, as is parents be sued?

Asked on June 10, 2009 under Accident Law, Kansas


J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

in a case such as what you describe an action will include the driver and the owner of the vehicle. It will also include whomever the insurance is under. If any of these are you than yes you can be named as a party to the lawsuit.

In general it will be handled by the insurance companies attornies and you should speak to the insruance company to get a better idea of the specifics of the suit and how the defense will be handled. Once you have a grasp on that you can decide if you think you need to hire your own attorney to ensure things are handled as best as possible for you

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.