Can HR deny you a copy of your company’s policy handbook?

I’ve been a maintenance tech for a multi-million dollars real estate company for 4 years now. I have used my personal truck for everything at work with no reimbursement and do a lot of work that I feel has nothing to do with my job description. I asked HR for a company policy handbook or for my job description but was told that they didn’t we don’t have one. Can they tell us that and get away with it?

Asked on May 28, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Missouri


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

First, bear in mind that there is no legal requirement to have a written job description or a company policy handbook, and many companies do not have these things (even though they should); if your company does not have them, they do not need to create them for you.
Second, it wouldn't matter if you had a job description or not: your employer decides what is and is not part of your job, and can change your duties, job description, etc. at will. So whatever your employer tells you is part of your job or your duties, that's something you have to do.
Third, the law does not require reimbursement for work use of a personal vehicle. However, if you track your work-related mileage, you should be able to get a tax deduction for the use--you should discuss this with your tax preparer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.