can unemployment condone a business that is doing something illegal

I went on Family Medical Leave when I came back my work wouldnt let me return, then offered me a position at a different store for less money. The unemployment department says they can do this and since i didn’t accpet the offer I quit my job. even though both state and federal law says they can’t do this

Asked on June 2, 2009 under Employment Labor Law, Oregon


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You may be able to appeal the unemployment decision, and you may be able to sue your former employer.  Both of these will depend on all of the facts of the case, and you should talk to an employment lawyer in your area as soon as possible, particularly since the time to appeal the unemployment denial is probably very short.  One place to look for an attorney is our website,

Government officials, like whoever denied your unemployment application, are just working people like the rest of us, and sometimes they make mistakes -- not always out of ill will or incompetence, it's just that nobody is perfect.  And these days, a lot of people at the unemployment office are badly overworked.  There is almost always a way to appeal a decision you disagree with.  Usually, the notice of that decision will tell you at least something about how and when to challenge the decision.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.