Can they police add a criminal charge to your offenses without your knowledge, after you are released on bond and before your arraignment?

My 18 year old son received a ticket for possession of drug pparaphernalia and possession of marijuana (smallest amount) – both are petty offenses. He was jailed on these tickets because he was drunk and high and it was 3 am. He was released on a $750 cash bond the next day. When he arrived for his arraignment, the ADA offered him a plea to possession and use of a controlled substance. She claimed that there was a white powder on the pocket knife they confiscated and even though they had not tested it yet and that he should just admit it was cocaine. Should he speak with a criminal law attorney? In Grand County, CO.

Asked on November 10, 2011 under Criminal Law, Colorado


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

At any point in the judicial process before the arraignment and even before trial, the district attorney's office can add additional charges in the complaint against a person as what has happened with your son's situation.

Given the seriousness of the charges against him with respect to a controlled substance, I recommend that he consult with a criminal defense attorney. Good luck to you and him.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.