When my fiance and I get married, can they garnish my wages or take my tax refund for his back child support?

Or is their a form I can fill out so they can’t.

Asked on July 8, 2016 under Family Law, Oregon


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If you and your fiance get married and then the two of you file a joint return, they AG could potentially seize the joint return to satisfy back child support.
However, they cannot seize your individual return or any individual accounts.  Only your fiance is responsible for the child support obligation, not you.
As a best strategy, you and your fiance should file separate returns until his back child support obligation is satisfied to prevent your funds from being scooped in the process.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.