can they do this

hi i have a new phone contract and it says on my agreement letter recieved today * changed your mind? you’ve got the right to cancel your agreement within 7 working days, starting from the day after you recieve your product and agreement (whichever comes later). i requested a cancellation they said i couldn’t because i have had the phone 17 days on my old contract and has to be returned within 7 days i told them what the letter says that i recieved today and they said they don’t know why it says that. My actual agreement date doesn’t even start till 18th march so im well within 7 days

Asked on March 16, 2012 under General Practice, Michigan


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You are correct. If the letter was written incorrectly, that is not your fault and you are well within your rights to cancel the agreement without penalty. Keep going up the provider's chain of command (local manager, district manager and then state level) and if that does not help, file a consumer complaint with your state attorney general, the Federal Trade Commission and the Federal Communications Commission and hope these actions will help this company change its mind.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.