Can the VA reduce my VA pension for a debt owed to the VA for health care co-payments?

I’ve already been classified as being in a hardship situation and all copayments have been waived in the state I am currently residing. However, the copayments that I owe in New Jersey are being pursued by the VA Health System and they are threatening to reduce my VA pension.

Asked on August 2, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Arkansas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Whether or not you Veteran's Administration pension can be uniltaterally debits for monies that you owe for co-pay for health related services depends upon what documents you signed allowing such to happen. If you did not sign any such document allowing for the unilateral debits, such is not allowed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.