Can the tenants in the condo unit below me bring a lawsuit against me for a water damage claiming that has been denied by my insurance company?

Water leaked from the bathroom pipes under the floor causing a significant amount of water damage to the condo unit below me. I placed a claim with my insurance company and they have said that I’m not liable. The tenants below me are demanding that I repair the damage or they’ll sue. I want to know if the insurance company is correct that I’m not liable even though the water came from my pipes. If I’m not liable, then who is and who’s responsible for the repairs?

Asked on July 18, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Virginia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You need to look at your condo documents here. If the pipes are in the wall or under the floor and serve more than one of the units then they are most likely commonly owned and then you should have also put in a claim with the condo's policy.  Now, your insurance company may deny in the first instance to avoid the claim.  Did they come out and inspect?  Did they give a reason?  If you are sued then you will need to bring an action against the condos policy and your policy to declare which coverage covers the loss.  It is called a Declaratory Judgement action.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.