Can the state still pursue a 2 year old driving while revoked charge even if the arresting officer has been fired and moved out of state?

Asked on November 8, 2011 under Criminal Law, Alaska


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Yes, the district attorney's office in the county and state where you reside can still pursue a criminal action against a person that is more than two (2) years old (driving with a revoked driver's license) even though the arresting officer has been fired and has moved out of state.

To puruse this action, the prosecution will be required to bring the arresting officer to the trial. If you do not have a criminal defense attorney for the situation you are in, you should retain one. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.