Can the state charge my wife with malicious mischief 3 DV for damaging a door in our home, if I refuse to press charges?

Asked on June 29, 2014 under Criminal Law, Washington


Richard Southard / Law Office of Richard Southard

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

in order to make out a charge of criminal mischief, the DA will need a witness to testify that they had a greater ownership right than your wife and that your wife did not have permission to damage the property

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.