Can the state be sued if an accident occured due to a road not having a sign that there was a sharp turn ahead?

My friend was going down the road at 25 mph when the turn got to sharp and the car flipped and rolled. There was no sign saying he needed to slow down for the turn or any speed limit sign at all.

Asked on July 19, 2012 under Accident Law, Louisiana


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If there were obstructions, he was not familiar with the road and had no clue this would occur and conditions were such that his speed just prior to the sharp turn was normal and reasonable, then yes, he should sue. The entity he needs to sue will be dependant upon whose responsibility it was regarding signage. Was it the city/town, county, state or federal entity? This will be dependant on whose road it was. He should seek counsel and immediately not only for his car but for his injuries, as well.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.