Can the police null my ticket before my court date and instead press criminal charges if I do not cooperate with them?

I received a ticket for possession of marijuana and the police said if I do not cooperate with them they can null my ticket and press state charges but I am afraid I don’t know what to do.

Asked on June 11, 2012 under Criminal Law, Illinois


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Typically the police will turn over their tickets or citations to the local prosecutor or court in your area for you to be arraigned on the criminal charges if you were indeed found in possession of marijuana. Often times the police will withhold doing so in exchange for your information regarding similar or separate known criminal activity of other persons. If you do no cooperate, they indeed have the authority to still press charges and pass on your arrest or citation information to the local charging authority.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.