Can the police interview a minor under the influence for over a hour without a adult or guardian present?

Or without it being recorded?

Asked on April 7, 2014 under Criminal Law, Washington


Maury Beaulier /

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Law enforcement need not notify a parent before interviewing a minor.  However, wherever it is practical, the statements must be recorded. You should contact legal counsel.


Maury D. Beaulier


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.