If I was arrested, can my vehicle be impounded if I was not in it?

My lisence is suspended and I was driving when I passed a police car. The cop then backed up but never put his sirens on to pull me over. I arrived home, got out the car and was at my front door when the cop came into my complex lot and asked me to come over. He then asked for my license and of course arrested me because it was suspended, however he also had my car impounded. Now it’s over $1000 to obtain my vehicle back (and on my tickets he didn’t put the correct address where he stopped me; he put the intersection address). Was that legal to do since I was no longer driving or in the vehicle?

Asked on June 23, 2012 under General Practice, Illinois


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

In most states, if you were observed by an officer driving and the officer was able to run information and find out you had a suspended license, the police officer can ask for an immediate tow of your vehicle. This is for public safety reasons. You will incur the cost of the tow and any court costs and it is not something that would be overturned by any court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.