Can the owners on an RV park ask us to file a letter with them stating that we are responsible for our unit on their property?

Many RV units in our RV park are too old to be insured. The owners of the park are
asking all everyone in the park to file a copy of their insurance in the park office. In
lieu of insurance, they want a signed letter stating that unit owners are responsible
for their own units. However, we do not own the land or the cement pads on the lot
we rent. We are concerned that if someone were to get hurt on the property that
signing such a letter would leave us responsible for ant injuries.

Asked on August 2, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Florida


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

Depending on the wording of your current lease, you may have to file a letter such as you have described now. Even if you are not required to provide such a letter under the terms of your current lease agreemnt, you can be required to provide one upon its expiration as a condition of renewal.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

They can require that you take responsibilty as a condition of renting the space to you and letting you stay there. They cannot force you to leave while a current lease or contract is in effect, but when your current lease expires (or on a month's notice, if you are month-to-month), they could require you to leave unless you agree to take responsibility in writing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.