Can the new management charge me pet rentin addition toa deposit ifthe previous management only required a deposit?

I’ve been living in my apartment a year and the new management delivered packets to our doors of the new rules of the complex. They are requiring a pet deposit and pet rent and 7 days to declare our pets. I previously paid a pet deposit to the former landlord, so I know they cannot charge me twice, but I am wondering if they can legally charge pet rent if I have already lived here a year before they set this rule. Is there a CA grandfather clause?

Asked on March 12, 2011 under Real Estate Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Well first of all the new management company can not alter or change your rental agreement that is in effect now.  It is a contract and they are bound to uphold the terms of which until the expiration of the contract.  Pet deposits are legal in California and I believe additional rent may be as well, except for animals that are related to the disabled (like seeing eye dogs; then a whole other set of laws comes in to effect).  And if your former landlord already charged yu for the deposit you are correct about being charged twice.  You may want to seek advice from an attorney in your area and maybe look for a new place when your lease runs out.  Good luck to you. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.