Can a custodial parent remarry with notifing the non-custodial parent?

Can the mother of my daughter remarry with notifing me?

Asked on September 6, 2012 under Family Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country, once a couple has been legally divorced (or if the couple has never been married) and where there is a custody order in place with respect to a minor, neither party has any legal obligation to give notice to the other that they are going to marry or re-marry.

Such issue has no bearing on the custody issue between them under the eyes of the law.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.