Can the landlord charge for cleaning the outside windows after moving out 1 month early?

I am deployed to Iraq. My fiance is back home and did the final walk through with the landlord. She did not mention the outside windows. But is charding us on the final bill. Some of these windows are 14 feet up on the house and we don’t have a ladder. Can they charge us for the outside of the townhome.

Asked on July 31, 2010 under Real Estate Law, Colorado


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Does you lease address the issue?  Generally you have to leave a place "broom clean" and not spotless.  It does not seem as if your landlord has the right to charge for such a thing and honestly given your circumstances it is an utter disgrace that they would consider doing so. Do you have anything signed by her after the walk through that states that the apartment was good to go?  Did she deduct the money from you security deposit?  I would fight her on it but it may not be worth your time and energy.  I would, though, write a letter indicating that this charge is unreasonable.  The fact that you left one month early - given your deployment -  should not be held against you.  Good luck.  Be safe. And thank you for your service.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.