Can a judge make somebody pay $300 a month even if that person is unemployed?

I am a full time college student and I have no income right now. The judge told me to pay $300 a month for a restitution I owe to the court. The judge said that I better have paid the money before I come back to court in a month or I will go to jail (I guess). Trouble is, I don’t have 300 a month. Can he legally try to make me do this?

Asked on March 13, 2014 under Criminal Law, Arkansas


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Yes, the judge can order you to pay restitution even if you do not have a job.  Yes, if you fail to make your payments, he can lock you up.  Borrow the money, or sell something you own to cover the restitution.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.