Can the father of the child be held partially repsonsible for the costs of an abortion?

My 19 year old daughter lived with her boyfriend for about 4 months, during which time she got pregnant. She opted to terminate the pregnancy. Boyfriend had no money, and she had no insurance, so she paid what she could and I paid for the rest. Is there a way in North Carolina to take the young man to court. probably small claims, to get his half of the costs?

Asked on July 1, 2009 under Personal Injury, North Carolina


L.M., Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You can't legally force the father to pay for the abortion (or to pay half).  It was your daughter's decision (and yours) to have the abortion.  You can try taking him to small claims court, but I don't think you have a winner here. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.