can the court hear a case in divorce and assets if i have no attorn.

the case is in miami dade co. fl it is to settle the assets and the children.i had an attorn. but she drop my case because she used up the funds and did im stuck with no immd. funds need more time. can i go and request the hearing to be put off to later date? because of this or do they find me default? my case is thurs. the 21 and i need help and do not know where to get it. please help. thank you

Asked on May 16, 2009 under Family Law, Florida


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

1.  Depending on your state, the judge may not allow the judge to withdraw simply just like that.  You need to file a complaint with your state bar on this lawyer.

2. Contact legal aid if this is a money issue and see if legal aid in your county can help you.  Simultaneously, you may also with to consult with an attorney at

3. Your new attorney will most likely be able to get a continuance. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.