Can teacher be fired over not selling enough yearbooks?

My husband is teacher and yearbook advisor. He switched to a new company and the old

company is giving final bill of $20,000. Now the school board says my husband is in trouble.

Asked on March 25, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Kentucky


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

The fact is that most employment is "at will", this means that an employer can fire an employee for the reason that you have given, or for any reason or for no reason at all, with or without notice. Basically, in such an empolynent arrangement, an employer can set the conditions of employment much as it sees fit. The exceptions to the foregoing would be if this action violates a union agreement or employment contract or constitutes some form of legally actionable discrimination. Bottom line, yes, unfortunately, your husband can be terminated for not selling enough yearbooks.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Leaving aside the issue of any union or collective bargaining agreements which may govern your husband's job, as a general matter, all employment  is employment at will; an employee may be fired, in the absence of a contract, for failing to sell enough yearbooks or for any other reason an employer wishes to fire him.
If your husband is covered by a union or collective bargaining contract, however, he cannot be fired in violation of said contract. If there is such a contract, you have to review its terms to see under what conditions your husband could be terminated, or otherwise disciplined.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.