Can someone who shares joint custody claim inheritance money for a minor child if they are not the parent?

I share joint custody of my children with their aunt. Their great grandmother has passed away and listed my children as beneficiaries to some life insurance policies,and pension death benefits. Will their aunt be able to put in claims for and receive that money with those papers stating that she has joint custody?

Asked on May 25, 2012 under Estate Planning, New Jersey


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If your children inherited money from their great grandmother then that money is theirs and no one else has a right to it.  What should happen is that the funds eill be placed in to an account (or annuity) for their benefit to be distributed to the when they are 18.  Please seek legal help here.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.