Can someone stop a share transfer legally?

I was working with my cousin in a business where he promised me 40% of the company and we verbally agreed on this. We even started on the legal work but after a tiff he decided I don’t get any percentage now. Is there anything I can do about this legally?

Asked on June 27, 2012 under Business Law, Nebraska


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You will need to seek the advice of counsel.  This should have been reduced to a writing signed by him at minimum. Since there is no writing, circumstantial evidence like you working on the legal work can help. If you have any emails, notes, text messages, phone messages, witnesses, would be helpful.  However, you really do need to decide whether you wish to pursue this avenue.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.