Can someone put a judgment against my credit without me knowing about it?

I work for a major granite countertop company. I went to one of our suppliers 3years ago to get some consignment material for 1 of our locations. The company I work for failed to pay the last bill and this company put the judgment against me personally.

Asked on September 23, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, South Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Since you just discovered a judgment that has been entered against you, you need to go down to the county clerk's office and have the entire file copied by the clerk. Once done, you then consult with an attorney that practices in the area of consumer law to see what can be done to set aside the presumed default and default judgment if the judgment creditor refuses to set aside both voluntarily.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.