Can someone press aggravated assault charges against you if they forced their way in your house and your dog bit them?

Asked on December 1, 2011 under Criminal Law, New Jersey


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

There is always the likelihood that a person can file a criminal complaint against a person based upon the facts of your question where the person entered into a home forcefully and that person was then bitten by a dog.

Law enforcement typically would then submit the police report to the district attorney's office for the filing of a criminal complaint. It is up to the district attorney's office to file or not. The district attorney's office has prosecutorial dicretion to file or not file a criminal complaint.

If a criminal complaint is filed against you about the incident that you are writing about, I suggest that you consult with a criminal defense attorney about it. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.