Can someone be charged with hit and run if they verbally spoke with the owner of vehicle but a police report wasn’t filed?

Friend backed into a parked car while no one was in it. The man claims there was $1100 worth of damage for a car with blue book value of $900. No report was filed. Threatening to file hit and run if friend doesn’t pay him cash. There’s no way this sort of damage was done to this old car. Not sure what the laws are here in nc. Chances are the guy is just trying to make a little cash but friend doesn’t want to have charges of a hit and run. There was a witness in the car when he backed into car.

Asked on July 12, 2012 under Accident Law, North Carolina


Leigh Anne Timiney / Timiney Law Firm

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

This is not a case of hit and run.  Further, I am not sure about North Carolina, but in Arizona it is illegal to threaten someone with criminal action in an effort to get them to resolve or settle a civil matter.  Your friend is responsible for reasonable damages to the other person's vehicle.  They are not responsible to pay for anything until they see a legitimate estimate from a verified auto body shop that can related the damages to the incident they were involved in.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.