Can security deposit be withheld to paint the rental? We have lived there for over four years.

my landlord told me that they were going to withhold $500 (of $1350) of my security deposit to paint our place when we move out. This was after he told me what model tenants we have been and how he knows that we have kept the place in excellent condition. We have been there for over four years and I asked if paint was normal wear and tear – he told me that he needs to keep $500 b/c he does want to pay for the paint out of pocket. Is this allowed? I could not find anything in other than he could withhold for damages and any breach of lease agreement. I re-read lease and nothing has

Asked on May 18, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Connecticut


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Well, seems like he is trying to use you.  You need an exact accounting of the clean up and wear and tear fix ups.  A $500.00 paint job for an apartment that doesn't need is abuse.  So, this is what you do.  Start taking pics of the house. Close ups, far away.  Be honest in your photos.

Here is the State of Connecticut's frequently asked questions link on landlord tenant matters:

Here is the actual publication from the State of Connecticut (page 9 is where security deposits begin).  Your landlord is required to give you an itemized list.  Check it out and see:


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.