Can probation officer tell husband and wife that they can’t live together

Can my po talk about me to my
wifes po say like that’s where as
he did my home visit

Asked on May 26, 2016 under Criminal Law, Colorado


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

A probation officer has the authority to enforce the terms and conditions of probation.  If the terms of a defendant's probation authorize a probation officer to limit this type of contact, then they can tell a husband and wife that they cannot live together.  However, if a defendant believes that the conditions are not being fairly or appropriately imposed, then they can seek a modification of their conditions by filing a motion with the court.  The argument against the probation officer's interpretation is that it imposes conditions that are in no way limited to the effective administration of the probation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.