Can police enter your home without invitation from resident?

My daughter had a graduation party in or home and the police came to the door for
sound complaints and entered without permission and passed out citations to all
of the kids for possession of alcohol. They proceeded to search the residence and
went upstairs into the bonus room / my daughters room looking for more kids. I
was not home during the this time but I was on the phone with my daughter and
heard her tell them they did not have a right to come inside our house nor to
search our home for anything. I then asked to speak to the officer and he stated
that he was not searching my home that he saw alcohol inside the door of that
room so he went to investigate. they also opened my fridge to see what was
inside. I feel like they are not allowed to do this and i would like to know what
my options are.

Asked on May 25, 2016 under Criminal Law, Georgia


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Police can do a basic investigation, but before they do a search of this nature-- which involves searching rooms and closed compartments-- they either need consent or a warrant.  If no one authorized him to do a search of your home, then anyone who was issued a ticket may have a defense based on the illegal nature of this search and seizure.  You need to visit with a criminal defense attorney you with a supression motion.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.