Can our landlord refuse to give information to a prospective new landlord?

Our lease expires at the end of this month. It states in our lease that if we do not renew or give notice that it rolls into a month-to-month agreement. We have an application for another home; when the new landlord called our current landlord they refused to give them any information regarding our tenancy due to us not signing a notice to vacate. Can they do this? What can i do?

Asked on October 10, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Arizona


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you lease is at an end wih your current landlord, he or she is under no obligation to provide any information to your prospective new landlord about you as being good or bad tenants. However, most landlords who have a good relationship with a tenant who is moving on to another location typically give referrals to the tenants' propsective new landlord.

Given what you have written, it appears that your current landlord is being petty for his "reason" for not giving information concerning you to a possible new landlord.

I suggest that you have a face to face meeting with your current landlord to iron out any other possible issues that he or she may have with you before you move out. The last thing you want is some excuse for not returning your security deposit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.