Can one take care of a misdemeanor charge even though they are leaving the state before the date on the citation for a very extended period of time?

I got a misdemeanor for being a minor in the possession of alcohol earlier this month. I am leaving to go back out of state tomorrow and won’t be back in for another year, if at all. I’ve visited the court building several times since then but all they say is I need to come on the date specified to get a court date, which is a month after I will have left. I will not be able to make it, or whatever court date they give me. Is there any way of taking care of this from across the country or or several months if I come back?

Asked on June 29, 2012 under Criminal Law, California


Russ Pietryga / Pietryga Law Office

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

People get citations all the time while on vacation and never go back to the state that issued the citation. 

There are a couple of things you can do.  One would be to file a motion with the court asking for an earlier court date because of your situation. 

Another way would be to retain an attorney and have them file a motion to excuse your appearance.  This is done all the time and should solve your problem. 

Either way will work. 

Hope this helps.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.