Can one person sell apropery if two people are listed on the title?

if there are 2 people listed on a title of a property, on the deed it is in the
name of John Jane, can one party sell the property out from under the other

We currently live in a house and I am on the title with my father. my father has
threatened to sell the house out from under us. Can he do this? What are the
consequences if he tries to but can’t?

Asked on June 2, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Utah


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

No, he may not do this without a court order: when more than one person is on the title to real estate, the consent of all the joint owners is needed to sell. (That's not to say that it's impossible that, if he lies about consent, forges your signature, etc. that he couldn't make it happen, though reputable realtors and attorneys should take care to make sure it does not.)
If joint owners can't agree on what to do about property--e.g. he wants to sell, you don't--one of them could go to court on an action for "partition" and seek a court order directing that the property be sold and the proceeds distributed (i.e. split) because the owners cannot agree on a use: the law does not make someone remain forever invested in property he wishes to dispose of, for example. If the house is sold, you will receive your share of the proceeds.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.