Can one member of joint property force legally to initiate partition deed?

We have a property in name of my mother, married sister and mine, recently got transferred from my deceased father. My sister-in-law and sister pressurized us to change the name from father to include her name but she never taken any responsibility of my parents. Currently I am taking care of my mother but my sister not contributing anything to my mother financially but claimed her part of property. My married sister does not wants to do partition now and asking us to do the same once my mother dies.

Asked on September 20, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Louisiana


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

I'm not exactly clear as to your circumstances. However, the law is that when co-owners of propety cannot agree as to ownership matters, then the legal remedy of partition is available. In a partition action, the court can either order that the property can be divided it possible; if not then the court will order that it be sold. At that point the proceeds will be equitably divided. First, however, any owner who wants to keep the property will have the right to buy the others owners out for fair market value. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.