Can new landlord ask for a security deposit?

I have lived in my unit as a tenant at will for over 10 yrs. A new landlord just purchased the building and is asking for a security deposit in the amount of 550. I was never charged a security deposit before. Is it legal for her to do this?

Asked on May 20, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Massachusetts


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

The new landlord cannot do it during the middle of a lease term, if you have a written lease for a definite period of time (e.g. a one year lease that's not yet expired). While a lease is in effect, a new landlord can not add to or alter it, such as by requiring a security deposit if the lease does not provide for one.
But when the current written lease expires, or on 30 days notice if you are a month to month tenant (either under an oral, or unwritten lease, or under a written month-to-month lease), he can require a security deposit. Landlords may get security deposits, and when a lease expires (or on a month's notice for a month-to-month tenant), landlords can require a security deposit as a condition of renewing the tenancy. It doesn't matter if you never paid one before--that has no bearing on the landlord's rights. If you don't provide one when he can legally ask for it, he can look to evict you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.