Can my ex-wife file contempt papers if I didn’t pay for my 12 year old son’s school supplies?

I don’t remember it being in the divorce papers. She already receives $680 monthly for support.

Asked on November 14, 2012 under Family Law, Ohio


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Although you should double check with an attorney as to the law in Ohio on the matter, I would safely assume that child support guidelines in your state that help to determine the amount needed to support your child would have taken in to account the supplies needed for school, with in a reasonable amount.  But your agreement will indeed govern so I would look at that as well.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.