Can my employer force me to see a company doctor for an injury that I obtained in my own home?

I twisted my ankle in my house and went to see my family doctor. I was off work 2 days of work. My doctor gave me a note that i was able to return to work with no restrictions. I went back to work and gave the HR department my doctors slip. On the way to the shop floor the safety associate noticed that I was walking with a limp and told me I had to go home and I couldn’t return back to work until I saw the company doctor. I was not injured at work. Do I have to go see the company doctor to come back to work? Does my work have to pay me back wages?

Asked on July 18, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If it appears you cannot safely do your job, your employer could suspend you. And if it appears you cannot safely do your job and they believe that the medical report or doctor's note you have brought in already is inaccurate or incorrect, the company can request that you provide a report from some other doctor, including one they recommend and have faith in, before allowing you to continue working.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.