Can my wife sell her portion of a piece of jointly held property without the other joint owners’ permission?

My wife is joint owner of a piece of property along with her brothers. She would like to divide and sell her interest to her 4 daughters. Her brothers are resisting her intentions. Can she do so without their permission?

Asked on April 28, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Oklahoma


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

No, when the property is jointly owned, she cannot divide it or sell her interest unilaterally, or without the consent of the other owners--not without a court order. What she can do is bring a legal action (i.e. file a lawsuit) for "partition" in chancery court (a part or division of county cout), seeking a court order that because the owners are unable to agree as to use, that the court order that the land and interests therein be partitioned, or divided, or that the property be sold and the proceeds divided. Your wife should speak with a real estate attorney about this option.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.